Middleton Reutlinger represents health care providers, including licensed professionals and institutional clients, throughout the country. The firm’s health care practice group has significant experience representing long-term care facilities, hospitals, nurses, physicians, therapists, assisted living facilities and personal care homes, in litigation involving complex medical and statutory claims. Those claims include claims of medical malpractice, corporate negligence, residents’ rights violations, breach of contract, and breach of privacy claims. Middleton Reutlinger attorneys bring significant experience to their representation of health care providers in numerous medical specialties in all stages of litigation, including case work-up and development, alternative dispute resolution, trials and appeals.
To successfully represent the firm’s clients, the health care practice group utilizes a multi-disciplinary team, including in-house medical experts, to apply a forensic medical approach for case development and resolution. The multi-disciplinary team works to efficiently and cost-effectively analyze, investigate and develop strategies for case resolution. The health care practice group strives to provide thorough and well-reasoned case analyses to assist our clients in making informed decisions for case resolution, whether through pretrial dispute resolution or trial.
Middleton Reutlinger’s health care practice group believes a proactive approach to risk management for our clients is an essential element of health care litigation. The health care team provides real-time assistance to manage potential liability situations, including working with care providers during events, as well as consulting with law enforcement and public relations. In addition, Middleton Reutlinger’s attorneys have worked with clients for pre-suit resolution of potential claims when the client desires to avoid litigation.
Middleton Reutlinger has successfully defended medical professionals alleged to have breached patient confidences, and advised health care providers on best-practices for staff education and training on patient privacy. The health care practice group utilizes its extensive knowledge of HIPAA and state privacy laws to assist health care providers in implementing risk management programs to minimize risk of future liability. When clients have experienced breaches in confidential data, Middleton Reutlinger’s attorneys are ready to begin immediate action to rectify the breach and minimize harm. Middleton Reutlinger’s attorneys have successfully defended health care providers facing state law claims for invasion of privacy or negligence related to patient confidentiality.
As a result of these tried-and-true practices, Middleton Reutlinger’s health care practice group has an impressive record of success whether by dismissal, settlement or trial.
Recent outcomes favorable for our clients include:
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal of all claims by plaintiff against long-term care provider without settlement payment following discovery establishing the provider had no liability for alleged fecal impaction alleged to have caused plaintiff’s death;
- Obtained a defense verdict for a long-term care provider alleged to have failed to provide adequate supervision and falls precautions for an elderly plaintiff who sustained a hip fracture and subsequently died from a fall;
- Successfully moved for a directed verdict on damages for a nursing home in case where plaintiff alleged medical providers failed to prevent a fall, failed to provide adequate pain management, and committed numerous residents’ rights violations;
- Negotiated a settlement of significant skin breakdown and falls case where plaintiff sought multi-million dollar damages well in advance of trial for significantly less than plaintiff’s claimed damages and well within case evaluation;
- Obtained summary judgment on all residents’ rights claims in case against nursing home where plaintiff was alleged to have fallen as a result of neglect and sustained a significant cervical spine fracture;
- Obtained favorable opinion from Kentucky Court of Appeals reversing trial court’s order denying Motion to Dismiss and Compel Arbitration in case involving significant claims of negligence, corporate negligence and medical malpractice against nursing home and nursing home administration.
- 27 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys recognized as 2020 Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Kentucky Rising Stars®November 27, 2019
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 25 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys in 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©August 17, 2019
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- August 21, 2018
- May 2018
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- December 27, 2016
- November 2016
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- August 23, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015