Brantley C. Shumaker is registered patent attorney and a member of the intellectual property practice group and focuses his practice primarily in the areas of patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation.
Mr. Shumaker has prosecuted patent applications in a variety of technology areas, including electrical, medical devices, mechanical, health and lifestyle products and business methods. Mr. Shumaker focuses particularly on prosecution of patents in computer hardware and software, including lighting control, computer networking, artificial intelligence, telecommunications, robotics, cloud computing, virtual computing, and security. He has also litigated in the areas of patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets and insurance.
Prior to law school, Mr. Shumaker worked as a programmer at Lexmark International and as a programmer and network/database administrator at a printing company. He served as an adjunct professor at the University of Oregon Law School from 2009 to 2011, where he taught licensing of intellectual property.
Honors & Awards
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Kentucky Rising Stars®, intellectual property, 2015 - 2018
- Oregon Super Lawyers®, Oregon Rising Stars®, intellectual property, 2013
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists El Toro in the protection of its intellectual property assets such as trademarks and patents.
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- August 25, 2017Insider Louisville
- May 15, 2017Insider Louisville
- March 24, 2017Louisville Business First
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
- November 3, 2015
- July 11, 2014Louisville Business First
- September 9, 2013Louisville Business First
- July 18, 2013The Voice tribune
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, J.D., high honors, Order of the Coif, 2006
University of Kentucky, B.S, Computer Science, cum laude, 2002 (Mathematics Minor)