Dana L. Collins practices before state and federal courts and administrative agencies primarily in the areas of education, insurance and employment law. Her representation of school districts throughout the state includes work on a wide range of issues including civil rights, employment discrimination and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, among others. Dana represents a number of employers in EEOC and OCR matters and labor arbitrations. Dana is also a trained mediator, having completed Mediation Training at Just Solutions.
Ms. Collins has been a featured speaker at several seminars on the topic of education law and has been involved in significant court decisions in this area. Ms. Collins recently successfully defended a Kentucky school district in class action litigation challenging single sex classes.
Following law school, Ms. Collins clerked for former Kentucky Supreme Court Justice Charles M. Leibson. This experience gives her additional insight into appellate arguments and briefing.
Honors & Awards
- Kentucky Super Lawyer® for Schools and Education in 2013-2020
- Top 25: 2015 Women Kentucky Super Lawyers
- Nelson v. Turner, Ky., which defined teachers’ obligations under the Kentucky child abuse reporting statute and clarified the issue of qualified governmental immunity for government employees
- Cornett v. Jefferson Cty. Bd. of Educ., Ky., which confirmed a school board’s right to conduct drug testing of its school bus drivers
- Ransom v. B. F. South, Inc., Kentucky Court of Appeals, obtained dismissal for restaurant chain in suit alleging transgender discrimination
- Hisle v. Wendy’s of Louisville, Kentucky Court of Appeals, obtained dismissal of case for restaurant chain in suit by employee alleging race discrimination
- Vinova v. Henry County Bd of Educ., U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, obtained dismissal of case for school board in suit alleging discrimination on basis of same-sex marriage
- A. N. A. v. Breckinridge Cty. Bd of Educ., U. S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, obtained dismissal of case for school board in suit alleging Title IX violation for instituting same gender program
- Akridge v. Kentucky Baptist Foundation, Jefferson Circuit Court, obtained $500,000+ judgment for family against Kentucky Baptist Foundation for unduly influencing elderly man into entering into annuity contract
- Fant v. Sypris Technologies, Jefferson Circuit Court, obtained defense verdict for manufacturing company in suit by employee alleging race discrimination and retaliation
- Trumbo v. B. F. South, Inc., Jefferson Circuit Court, obtained dismissal of case for restaurant chain in suit by employee alleging racial discrimination
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists Jefferson Co. Public Schools in matters related to employment, facilities, workers’ compensation and special education.
Middleton Reutlinger assists Louisville Water with matters related to personal injury/property damage, litigation, business services and corporate law.
Middleton Reutlinger assists Sypris Solutions in obtaining intellectual property protection for their assets and provides experienced commercial litigation counsel among other services.
- 27 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Kentucky Rising Stars®November 27, 2019
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- July 26, 2018Insider Louisville
- July 26, 2018Courier Journal
- July 26, 2018WDRB.com
- December 21, 2017Courier-Journal
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
Princeton Alumni Schools Committee, Member
Louisville Collegiate School Alumni Board
Kentucky Council of School Board Attorneys, Former President
- Clerk, Former Kentucky Supreme Court Justice Charles M. Leibson
- U. S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, J.D., 1992
Princeton University, A.B., 1989