Elisabeth S. Gray is a litigator whose practice focuses on unfair competition, including disclosure of trade secrets and enforcing non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. She has also maintained a high familiarity with eDiscovery and related technology in order to provide defensible eDiscovery solutions for clients, as well as using eDiscovery to the client’s advantage in seeking and obtaining eDiscovery from opposing parties. She has successfully obtained numerous court orders requiring the forensic examination of computers, smart phones, and other electronic devices.
She also serves as the chair of the litigation practice group at Middleton Reutlinger. Ms. Gray has tried several commercial litigation cases through judgment, and has been lead counsel in a number of injunction and other evidentiary hearings.
In addition to her unfair competition practice, Ms. Gray has a range of experience including prosecuting and defending jurisdictional litigation, IP litigation, complex contractual disputes, real estate litigation, bankruptcy court adversary proceedings, and other general commercial litigation. She has experience overseeing and coordinating large document retrieval, production and extraction projects for major clients. Ms. Gray has trial experience in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration tribunals including the NASD (now FINRA) and the AAA. Her practice includes appellate work at all levels.
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Kentucky Super Lawyers® 2010 - 2019 in Business Litigation
- Kentucky Top 50 Attorney, 2019
- Top 25 Women Attorneys in Kentucky, 2019
- Louisville Business First's Forty under 40 Outstanding Young Leader Award, 2003
- Benchmark Litigation, the Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, Intellectual Property, 2017-2018
Trade Secret, Unfair Competition, Covenant Not to Compete, IP Litigation
- Successfully prosecuted and defended misappropriations of trade secret claims. Obtained dismissal of trade secret misappropriation claims on summary judgement.
- Successfully prosecuted cases and obtained Temporary Restraining Orders to enforce non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, against misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference with business relationships and unfair competition. Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions after evidentiary hearings. Resulted in successful settlements with monetary components and permanent injunctive relief.
- Prosecuted and defended patent and trademark infringement cases.
- Successfully defended employment discrimination claims, defamation, and retaliation.
Cyber Litigation and E-discovery experience
- Assisted, advised, coordinated and implemented litigation holds for clients.
- Assisted numerous clients in preserving and forensically examining work computers of current or former employees to support a claim.
- Successfully obtained court orders requiring opponent to allow forensic examination of home computers and PDAs, resulting in the discovery of key evidence.
- Successfully obtained court order requiring opponent to cease using back-up tape recycling and other losses of electronic evidence during litigation.
- Successfully quashed subpoena of non-party to a lawsuit requesting time-consuming and expensive electronic discovery on grounds of burdens and cost.
- Successfully used subpoena process of Internet Service Protocols to determine identity of anonymous cyber-smearers and prosecuted them.
- Successfully obtained injunction requiring former employee who obtained domain name for employer to transfer domain name back to employer.
- Developed e-discovery protocols, retained forensic experts and coordinated production of electronic documents and data for several litigation matters.
- Coordinated and developed protocol for identification, imaging and extraction of documents prior to sale of subsidiary. Imaged more than a million documents and extracted thousands of boxes of confidential and proprietary documents.
- Successfully required party to execute a consent form and have non-party/hosting party/Dropbox.com produce confidential content of Internet files.
- Successfully obtained dismissals for lack of personal jurisdiction and defeated motions to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction in state and federal courts.
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- April 26, 2018
- March/April 2018Kentucky Bar Association Bench & Bar
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- September 2017Practical Law
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
- June 27, 2014Louisville Business First
- June 10, 2011Louisville Business First
Professional & Community Activities
- Bulldogs in the Bluegrass, Community Mentor, 2016-2017
- Greater Louisville Outstanding Women (GLOW), 2014-present
- LEAD GLI Program, 2013 Charter Member
- Leadership Louisville, Ignite Louisville, 2005
- Louisville Bar Association Leadership Academy
- Former Mayor of Crossgate, Kentucky
How the Newly Enacted "Defend Trade Secrets Act" Has Changed the Landscape of Trade Secret Law, Kentucky Bar Association Bench & Bar, March/April 2018
Compelling and Staying Arbitration in Kentucky, Thomson Reuters, Practical Law, September 2017
Check your non-compete agreements in light of Kentucky Supreme Court decision, Louisville Business First, Guest Comment, June 2014
Employers should use restrictive agreements to their benefit, Louisville Business First, June 10, 2011
Ways to Protect Your Company from Unfair Competition, HR Kentucky Newsletter, August 2011
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
Vanderbilt University, J.D., 1998
University of Oregon, B.A., Spanish, 1993