James E. Cole is a director at Middleton Reutlinger and a registered patent attorney. He concentrates his practice in the area of intellectual property with more specific focus in patent prosecution. Mr. Cole’s background in mechanical engineering enables him to handle a wide range of technologies including recreational vehicle and marine equipment, aircraft turbine engines, air filtration, lighting, industrial shredders, separator equipment, land clearing machinery, railroad industry equipment, sporting devices, acoustic materials, printing and various other technologies. His experience includes patent application preparation, prosecution and opinion work as well as licensing. Mr. Cole also provides guidance on a variety of trademark issues.
Prior to law school Mr. Cole worked as a plant engineer for Dravo Lime Company where he managed a wide range of plant update and enhancement projects. He coordinated and supervised the design, purchase, and installation of a new potable water system, a waste water treatment facility, a major expansion of the plant compressed air system, as well as renovation of numerous steel structures throughout the plant processing facility. During law school Mr. Cole worked for the Intellectual Property law department of Lexmark International, Inc.
He enjoys working closely with corporate counsel, engineers and independent inventors during both the filing and prosecution of patent applications as well as advising on infringement or design-around strategies. Mr. Cole also enjoys golf and cycling.
Honors & Awards
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2016 - 2019
- Best Lawyers in America®, Patent Law, 2018 - 2020
- Leadership Louisville, 2018
- Louisville Bar Association Leadership Academy, Class of 2011
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists Hillerich & Bradsby with the development and protection of its intellectual property assets, both in the United States and throughout the world.
Middleton Reutlinger assists Sypris Solutions in obtaining intellectual property protection for their assets and provides experienced commercial litigation counsel among other services.
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 25 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys in 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©August 17, 2019
- August 16, 2019Louisville Busines First
- August 21, 2018
- May 2018
- August 15, 2017
- July 20, 2017
- July 19, 20172017 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- June 9, 20162016 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
Professional & Community Activities
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), 2001 - present
- University of Kentucky, College of Engineering Alumni Association, Board Member, 2011 - present
- Hurstbourne Country Club, Board Member, 2014 - present
- Twisted Pink, Board Member, 2016 - present