Jennifer M. Barbour is a member of the health care practice group. Her health care litigation practice includes medical malpractice defense and long term care malpractice defense. She represents hospitals, doctors, nursing homes and healthcare organizations in lawsuits involving claims of negligence, abuse and neglect, violation of residents’ rights, breach of contract, and wrongful death. Ms. Barbour also advises healthcare organizations on regulatory matters, including health care privacy, security law and licensure.
Prior to joining Middleton Reutlinger, Ms. Barbour practiced medical malpractice law with a medical malpractice and personal injury firm in Kentucky. There she was first and second chair in several significant cases and gained extensive experience representing clients at all levels of litigation and appeal.
During law school, Ms. Barbour was a member of the Health Law Moot Court team for two consecutive years, was selected as a member of the ATLA trial competition team and was a Pupil member of the Brandeis Inn of Court.
Ms. Barbour is the author of “Ex Parte Communications with the Treating Physician in Litigation,” Bar Briefs (2014) and “HIPAA Compliance: Is Your Business Complying with HIPAA and Privacy Rules,” Southern Indiana Business Source (2013).
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Kentucky Rising Stars®, personal injury medical malpractice defense, 2015 - 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2018
- Bardstown Medical Investors, Ltd. v. Dukes, 2013-CA-001783 (Jan. 23, 2015)
- Crawford v. Marshall Emergency Servc. Assocs., PSC, 431 S.W.3d 442 (Ky. App. 2013)
- Sonne v. Comm. Med. Assocs., 2010-CA-00031 (June 10, 2011)
- Walton v. Johnson, 2009-CA-000265 (Apr. 2, 2010)
- Sandoz Pharm. Corp. f/k/a Novartis Pharm. Corp. v. Gunderson, 279 S.W.3d 93 (Ky. 2008)
- Hert v. Burton, 2006-CA-002634 (Feb. 22, 2008)
- Represents SNFs in litigation and all levels of appeal involving claims for negligence, wrongful death, resident’s rights violations, breach of contract and negligence per se.
- Advises healthcare organizations concerning HIPAA compliance pertaining to medical record security, retention and production.
- Advises healthcare providers concerning SNF regulatory compliance, including Medicare, Medicaid and state regulations.
- First and Second-chair on approximately 200-250 cases, 15-18 as first chair for medical malpractice, products liability, and personal injury cases.
- Resolved subrogation and reimbursement liens with governmental and private insurers, including ERISA plans.
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- August 23, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- Louisville Bar Association - member of Leadership Academy Planning Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association - member of 2016 Convention Planning Committee, Chair of sub-committee for Convention Sponsorships
- Defense Research Institute
- Kentucky Defense Counsel – member of CLE Committee
- The Legal Aid Society - Associate Campaign Captain; member of LAS' Young Professional Association Recruitment Committee
- 2016 Graduate of Louisville Bar Association’s Leadership Academy
- Faculty Speaker, Personal Injury Law Seminar, August 2016 - “Negotiation and Settlement of Your Case” and “Ethics in Personal Injury”
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Member of the Health Law Moot Court team for two consecutive years
- Selected as a member of the ATLA trial competition team
- Pupil member of the Brandeis Inn of Court
University of Virginia, Political Science/Comparative History, B.A., 2003