Jennifer M. Barbour is a member of the litigation practice group, focusing on health care and commercial litigation. Her health care litigation practice includes medical malpractice defense and long term care malpractice defense. She also routinely serves as Chair of Medical Review Panels for claims filed before the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Ms. Barbour also advises healthcare organizations on regulatory matters, including health care privacy, security law and licensure.
In her commercial litigation practice, she has represented shareholders in derivative claims and corporate officers and directors in claims involving breach of fiduciary duties. She has represented corporations and partnerships in judicial dissolutions, as well as defended trustees in claims for breach of fiduciary duties.
Prior to joining Middleton Reutlinger, Ms. Barbour practiced medical malpractice law with a medical malpractice and personal injury firm in Kentucky. There she was first and second chair in several significant cases and gained extensive experience representing clients at all levels of litigation and appeal.
During law school, Ms. Barbour was a member of the Health Law Moot Court team for two consecutive years, was selected as a member of the ATLA trial competition team and was a Pupil member of the Brandeis Inn of Court.
Ms. Barbour is the author of “Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurers ‘Beware’ MCS-90 Endorsement Implications,” The Insurance Research Letter (2016), “Ex Parte Communications with the Treating Physician in Litigation,” Bar Briefs (2014) and “HIPAA Compliance: Is Your Business Complying with HIPAA and Privacy Rules,” Southern Indiana Business Source (2013).
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Kentucky Rising Stars®, personal injury medical malpractice defense, 2015 - 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2018 - 2019
- New Oaklawn Investments, LLC v. Lee, 2016-CA-001799 (Nov. 9, 2017)
- Bardstown Medical Investors, Ltd. v. Dukes, 2013-CA-001783 (Jan. 23, 2015)
- Crawford v. Marshall Emergency Servc. Assocs., PSC, 431 S.W.3d 442 (Ky. App. 2013)
- Sonne v. Comm. Med. Assocs., 2010-CA-00031 (June 10, 2011)
- Walton v. Johnson, 2009-CA-000265 (Apr. 2, 2010)
- Sandoz Pharm. Corp. f/k/a Novartis Pharm. Corp. v. Gunderson, 279 S.W.3d 93 (Ky. 2008)
- Hert v. Burton, 2006-CA-002634 (Feb. 22, 2008)
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of SNF in medical negligence, wrongful death and resident’s rights abuse and neglect case where plaintiff was seeking in excess of $3 million in damages for a significant decubitus ulcer allegedly caused by SNF’s negligence.
- Represents SNFs in litigation and all levels of appeal involving claims for negligence, wrongful death, resident’s rights violations, breach of contract and negligence per se.
- Advises healthcare organizations concerning HIPAA compliance pertaining to medical record security, retention and production.
- Advises healthcare providers concerning SNF regulatory compliance, including Medicare, Medicaid and state regulations.
- First and Second-chair on approximately 200-250 cases, 15-18 as first chair for medical malpractice, products liability, and personal injury cases.
- August 21, 2018
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- August 23, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- Louisville Bar Association - member of Leadership Academy Planning Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association - member of 2016 Convention Planning Committee, Chair of sub-committee for Convention Sponsorships
- Defense Research Institute
- Kentucky Defense Counsel – member of CLE Committee
- The Legal Aid Society - Associate Campaign Captain; member of LAS' Young Professional Association Recruitment Committee
- 2016 Graduate of Louisville Bar Association’s Leadership Academy
- Faculty Speaker, Personal Injury Law Seminar, August 2016 - “Negotiation and Settlement of Your Case” and “Ethics in Personal Injury”
- Faculty Speaker, 6th Annual Kentuckiana Pulmonary Symposium, July 2017 – “Primer on Respiratory Therapy Laws in Kentuckiana”
Commercial Motor Vehicle Insurers "Beware" MCS-90 Endorsement Implications, The Insurance Research Letter, May 2016
Ex Parte Communications with the Treating Physician in Litigation, Bar Briefs, Louisville Bar Association, June 2014
HIPAA Compliance: Is Your Business Complying with HIPAA and Privacy Rules, Southern Indiana Business Source, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Member of the Health Law Moot Court team for two consecutive years
- Selected as a member of the ATLA trial competition team
- Pupil member of the Brandeis Inn of Court
University of Virginia, Political Science/Comparative History, B.A., 2003