Julie Gregory Ray is an attorney in the firm’s intellectual property group, concentrating in the areas of trademark prosecution, litigation involving trademark infringement, unfair competition and copyright law. Her practice includes both trademark clearance and registration, as well as the maintenance and licensing of intellectual property. Ms. Ray’s practice involves both domestic and international trademark law, and she manages several worldwide intellectual property portfolios.
Ms. Ray also advises clients on issues involving the Rights of Privacy and Publicity, intellectual property issues pertaining to social media and website development. Work includes daily contact with clients in both the United States and abroad to develop branding strategies and maintain intellectual property rights after initiation of use. She is a frequent lecturer on issues involving trademark and copyright law.
Honors & Awards
- 2018 BTI Client Service All-Star
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in Intellectual Property in Kentucky, 2008 -2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers® in Intellectual Property 2012 - 2016
- Louisville Magazine's Top Lawyers in Copyright/Trademark law
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2013 - 2017
- Best Lawyers in America®, Copyright Law, 2019
Tumblebus Inc. v. Cranmer, 399 F.3d 754 (6th Cir. 2005)
Represented Tumblebus, Inc. in trademark infringement action filed in Western District of Kentucky. Sixth Circuit affirmed preliminary injunction in favor of Tumblebus. Court found that Plaintiff’s mark was “suggestive” and there was no evidence that Plaintiff’s TUMBLEBUS trademark had been abandoned in its geographic territory.
HCA-HealthONE LLC v. Marel Norwood, Opp. No. 91182226 (TTAB 2011)
Represented HCA-HealthONE LLC (HealthONE) in opposition proceedings at Trademark Trial and Appeal Board against application to register “Healthoneself.” Board sustained opposition, finding that use of “Healthoneself” was likely to cause confusion with “HealthONE” mark.
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists Hillerich & Bradsby with the development and protection of its intellectual property assets, both in the United States and throughout the world.
- August 21, 2018
- May 22, 2018
- May 2018
- August 25, 2017Insider Louisville
- July 19, 20172017 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- April 10, 2017Insider Louisville
- January 31, 2017Chamber & Partners
- November 21, 2016
- 12 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Chambers USA® and IP Practice is the Only Band 1 Firm in KentuckyAugust 2, 2016
- June 9, 20162016 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
- May 20, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- International Trademark Association, 2000 to present
- Parallel Imports Committee, 2016-2018
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Pro Bono legal work for the Kentucky Humane Society
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, J.D., 1985
University of Kentucky, with high distinction, B.A., 1982