Robert H. Eichenberger is a director in the firm and chair of the intellectual property practice group. Mr. Eichenberger focuses his practice on patent prosecution, patent licensing and patent litigation matters. The registered patent attorney has litigated several high profile cases and provided counsel to major corporations, including a number of Fortune 500 companies, in the medical devices, artificial turf, heavy machinery, farm equipment, lawn care equipment, and extraterrestrial space hardware industries.
In addition to arguing Markman hearings, Mr. Eichenberger has argued cases before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board as well as the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. He also represented an individual inventor in a two-week patent infringement jury trial in the Southern District of New York. Mr. Eichenberger has represented clients in numerous M&A transactions, license negotiations, joint ventures, and business transactions involving patented and other intellectual property.
During law school Mr. Eichenberger was employed as an engineering consultant for a plaintiff’s law firm focusing on vehicle dynamic safety and rollover stability. Prior to law school he worked as a co-op engineer for a U.S.-based global oil company in the terminal storage and service station divisions. Mr. Eichenberger supervised many construction projects and provided engineering services in a broad range of areas, including injection-delivery systems, new service station construction, underground storage tank removals, and site development.
Mr. Eichenberger is a member of Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society and Chi Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society. He is also a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, American Bar Association, Indiana State Bar Association, and Kentucky Bar Association.
Honors & Awards
- Louisville Magazine's Top Lawyers
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2015 - 2019
- Kentucky Super Lawyer® for Intellectual Property in 2015 - 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America® in Litigation - Intellectual Property; Patent Law, 2018 - 2020
- 2019 Louisville Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Intellectual Property
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists Re-Logic with a variety of legal matters, including the protection of its intellectual property assets, licensing and other contract matters.
- June 1, 2021
- 27 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Kentucky Rising Stars®November 27, 2019
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 25 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys in 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©August 17, 2019
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- August 21, 2018
- August 18, 2018
- May 2018
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- July 19, 20172017 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- June 9, 20162016 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Horseshoe Foundation of Floyd County, Investment Committee Member
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Purdue University, B.S. Civil Engineering, with distinction, 1994