Robert J. Theuerkauf is a director in the firm and chair of the intellectual property litigation practice group. Mr. Theuerkauf focuses his practice on patent and trademark litigation matters. The registered patent attorney has litigated numerous patent cases representing major corporations in courts in Kentucky, Arizona, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin involving a wide-range of technologies. Such technologies include devices and methods in the medical device, software, power tool, lawn care equipment, air filter, commercial lighting, and chemical industries.
Prior to law school Mr. Theuerkauf worked as a Project Supervisor for an environmental consulting firm in Houston, Texas, where he successfully aided clients in the oil and chemical industries in addressing air quality issues. His supervisory role included coordinating and supervising stack emissions testing programs across the United States.
Honors & Awards
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2015 - 2016
- Kentucky Super Lawyers® in intellectual property in Kentucky, 2012 - 2017
- Benchmark Plaintiffs, Plaintiffs Litigation Star
- The Best Lawyers in America® in patent litigation
- Benchmark Litigation, the Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, Litigation Star
- Defended two separate patent infringement matters involving technology for the loading and testing of catalyst in tubular reactors. Both cases were in the Southern District of Texas (Houston). Successfully resolved both actions after receiving an affirmation of summary judgment by the Federal Circuit in the first action and arguing a Markman hearing and obtaining summary judgment in the second action.
- Represented a service provider to chemical manufacturers in an international arbitration regarding breach of a patent license agreement. Case was successfully settled prior to the arbitration hearing.
Represented a biologics division of a national implant manufacturer in the Central District of California in a patent infringement action involving equipment and methods for blood processing. The action is pending in the Central District of California. The action also involved defending the plaintiff against an antitrust counterclaim. The case was successfully resolved with the enforcement of the patents and the antitrust claim dropped.
Represented defendant, a leading provider of leak detection software to the petrochemical industry, in the Southern District of Texas involving patents related to methods for monitoring and collecting fugitive emissions data. The case successfully resolved.
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- August 2016
- August 2016
- June 9, 20162016 Managing Intellectual Property IP Handbook
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Chamber Jeffersontown, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, J.D., cum laude, 2001
University of Kentucky (Agricultural Biotechnology), B.S., 1994