Scott Higdon is a registered patent attorney in the firm’s intellectual property practice group. Mr. Higdon concentrates his practice on patent prosecution, patent counseling, and post-grant practice for software and electrical technologies. Mr. Higdon has experience developing patent portfolios for companies of all sizes, from small startups to large multi-national corporations.
Mr. Higdon’s practice includes portfolio management and patent prosecution for a variety of electrical and software technologies. These include artificial intelligence, deep neural networks, robotics, communications, natural language processing, lighting systems, and search and query processing.
While obtaining his electrical engineering degree, Mr. Higdon was employed with the Navy, working on software, signal processing, and data analysis projects related to a gun weapons system for Navy Guided Missile Destroyer Ships. During law school, he was employed in the consumer appliance industry as a quality control engineer performing work on electrical control systems for various household appliances.
Honors & Awards
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Kentucky Rising Stars®, intellectual property, 2013 - 2019
- Best Lawyers in America®, Patent Law, 2019-2020
- 2020 Louisville Lawyer of the Year, Patent Law
Learn More About My Experience
Middleton Reutlinger assists El Toro in the protection of its intellectual property assets such as trademarks and patents.
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 25 Middleton Reutlinger Attorneys in 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©August 17, 2019
- 21 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers and 7 Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars for 2019December 7, 2018
- August 21, 2018
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2018December 6, 2017
- 22 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2017November 18, 2016
- 27 Middleton Attorneys Recognized by Kentucky Super Lawyers® and Nine Recognized by Kentucky Rising Stars® for 2016December 1, 2015
- November 3, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association, Vice-Chair of Intellectual Property Section
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Speed School Alumni Council
- Graduate of Louisville Bar Association Leadership Academy
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, J.D., cum laude, 2008
University of Louisville, Speed Scientific School, B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering, cum laude, 2005